G3SKY - The Club Shack
G3SKY – the Club shack
The Isle of Wight Radio Society operates its own radio station, its shack, with the callsign G3SKY and it is available for use by any licensed member of the Club.
The two principal pieces of equipment are the Yaesu FTDX10 and FT847 radios.
The FT847 is a multiband, multimode main station transceiver covering the 160-10 meter bands plus the 6m, 2m and 70cm bands, offering SSB, CW, AM and FM modes at up to 100 Watts at HF or 50 Watts at VHF/UHF. It also has a 4m transverter attached for 4m communications using the 28Mhz band.
The FT-DX10 is a multiband, multimode transceiver providing coverage of the 160-10 meter bands plus the 6 m and 4m bands, offering SSB, CW, AM, FM, and Digital modes at up to 100 Watts.
The aerials and antennas consist of a general purpose long wire and a 4 band 4 element rotating HF beam aerial on a pump-up mast for HF.
For VHF/UHF, the Club has a 2m/70cm collinear and a trailer mounted wind-up mast supporting 2m and 70cm crossed Yagis plus rotators these are used with a Yaesu FTM400DE dual band radio.
There are VSWR meters, a smart ATU for HF and numerous switches for cross connecting the aerials and antennas.
The Club also has a satellite working capability.
The Amateur Radio Licence makes provision for a Club Station with its own callsign. It does so by associating the Club Station callsign with a specific Club Member who must hold a Full Licence. It becomes that Member’s responsibility, on behalf of the Club and Ofcom, to ensure that the Club Station is operated appropriately. Alan Ash G3PZB is the custiodian of the clubs callsign.
Operation of our Club Station, G3SKY, is dealt with in the Licence Conditions under “Operators and Qualifications”, see the extracts below:-
3(3) Only where this Licence is a Full Licence or a Full (Club)’ Licence may the Licensee also permit the operation of the Radio Equipment:
- by a person on a Recognised Foundation Training Course; or
- by a person who holds a current radio amateur licence issued by any other
- by any person:
- i) who does not fall within Clause 3(3)(a) or (b);
- ii) whom the Licensee has reasonable grounds to believe is not a Disqualified Person; and
iii) who holds a Radio Amateurs’ Examination Pass Certificate recognised by Ofcom.
provided that in each case, any such operation of the Radio Equipment is carried out in the presence of and under the direct supervision of the Licensee and that such persons are made aware of, and of the requirement to comply with,, the terms, conditions and limitations of this Licence.
3(5) Only where this Licence is a Full (Club) Licence issued to the Licensee for use on behalf of a Club, may the Licensee:
- authorise any Club member who holds their own separate Full Licence to use and supervise the operation of the Radio Equipment on the Licensee’s behalf under this Licence;
- permit a non-licensed person to send a Message using the Radio Equipment provided the Radio Equipment is operated by the Licensee or by a Club member who holds their own separate Full Licence,
- provided that, in each case, such persons are made aware of, and of the requirement to comply with, the terms, conditions and limitations of this