What kinds of information do we collect?
To manage your membership and the services we provide we may gather and process information about you. This includes but may not be limited to;
- Your name
- Your call sign (where licensed)
- Your postal address
- Your email address
- Your telephone number
- Membership type
- Call sign of family member (for family membership)
- Date, method and amount paid for membership
We may also gather other information about you in alignment with the Society’s aims and objectives. Examples of additional information include;
- Dates of obtaining a licence
- Licence class
- Committee positions
- Email opt out for reminders/notifications
- Opt-out sharing full information in members database (website)
- Ad hoc notes
- Equipment loans
- Information for exam candidates
How do we use this information?
We use the information that you provide in the following ways;
- To manage your membership with the IoWRS including subscriptions, notifications (per the constitution) and calendar reminders. This constitutes the minimum required to manage your subscription and membership of the Society is dependent on this information being provided and processed.
- To remind you via email of any equipment or library books that you may have on loan from the Society.
- To provide access to the Members area.
- To provide services like organised trips or exams.
To be a Member of the IoWRS you agree to your name, call sign, email address and, where provided, your picture being shared with other Members in the secure area of the website (only accessible by Members). For Members under the age of 18 the ‘Policy with respect to Children’ may supersede this requirement.
How is this information shared?
We do not share Member’s information with 3rd parties for marketing purposes but may share your information, with your consent, in relation to providing a service where a third party is involved.
Member’s information may be shared at the Members discretion with other Members through the IoWRS website. Access to this is limited to Members. The data shared includes; Call sign (mandatory), Full Name (mandatory), Postal Address, Phone Number(s), email address (mandatory), payment data and status and membership type and status. It may also include an additional personal biography if you choose to enter this.
What is our lawful basis for processing data?
We process your information in furtherance of our legitimate interests, including:
- Managing each Member’s subscription to the Society.
- Providing and improving the services the Society offers. We do so as it is necessary to pursue our legitimate interests of providing and developing innovative and tailored offerings to both Members and non-members.
- Taking responsibility for identifying the risks and consequences of the data processing and putting age appropriate safeguards in place.
How can you exercise your rights provided under the GDPR?
Under the General Data Protection Regulation, you have the right to access your personal data, request the rectification of errors, object to processing and to have your personal data erased. Requests should be directed to the Society Secretary in the first instance and the IOWRS will aim to resolve these within 30 days.
Data retention, account deactivation and deletion
We store your data until it is no longer necessary to do so to administer your membership or services provided to you by the IOWRS. This is a case-by-case determination that depends on things such as the nature of the data, why it is collected and processed, and relevant legal or operational retention needs. For example, if you provide information to us for the sole purpose of sitting the Foundation, Intermediate or Full exam you may request that this information is deleted after the exam process has concluded but we would continue to hold and process your information provided in respect to your membership.
The IOWRS Website.
You can opt to share or withhold information about yourself on the IOWRS Website. This service is provided to help Society members contact each other. When you terminate your membership your access to the private areas of the IOWRS Website will be withdrawn. Your information will be removed from the Members Database and your photograph removed from the Members Gallery and we will not be able to recover this information later should you rejoin. Any content that you have submitted to be hosted on the website and any files you have submitted for storage are not part of your account and won’t be deleted.
All Member account information will be deleted within 30 days of written termination of membership. Members not terminating their membership in writing but not renewing their membership at the AGM will have their personal data deleted after the discretionary three month period as per the Constitution.
Policy with respect to Children
Membership of the IOWRS and access to the services provided by the Society is open to individuals under the age of 16. Information about minors will be strictly limited to that required to manage their membership and will not be made available via the Members Database by default. Communication with minors will be made via a parent or guardian.
How will we notify you of changes to this Policy?
We’ll notify you before we make changes to this Policy and give you the opportunity to review the revised Policy before you choose to continue your Membership or use the IOWRS services.
How to contact the IOWRS with questions
If you have questions about this Policy please contact the Society Secretary. We may resolve disputes that you have with us in connection with our Privacy Policies and practices through the IOWRS Committee or, where appropriate, through an independently chosen Sub Committee.